Depending on the amount of heating oil your family burns in a month, heating your home with an oil furnace can get costly. Fortunately, there are several things that you can do to conserve energy and reduce the cost of your household's annual heating oil costs. Check out these money-saving tips.
Hire a Heating Oil Service
Many people call a local heating oil service company when their tank is out of oil to have it refilled. However, this may not be your cheapest option. A lot of heating oil service companies offer an automatic refill service, and signing a contract could lock in a cheaper oil price. When you contract a heating oil service, the company determines your household's needs by reviewing information that you provide. They use the information to estimate a refill frequency. When it's time for your tank to be refilled, the company will come to your home to refill your tank automatically — you don't need to schedule an appointment.
Replace Older Systems
If your heating system is over 20 years old, you should consider replacing it. By replacing your current heating oil system with a more modern version, you could save 15 to 25 percent on your household's annual heating costs.
Monitor Your Family's Water Usage
It's common for people to forget that their hot water heater consumes fuel too, but it does. Fortunately, this means that you can lower your family's heating oil costs by minimizing your hot water usage. To do this:
- Set a time limit for showers.
- Tell family members to only fill the bathtub to the halfway mark when taking a bath.
- Do laundry once or twice a week instead of daily.
- Only wash full loads of laundry — not just a few articles of clothing.
- Don't leave the hot water running while you're washing dishes. Instead, fill a sink or basin with hot, soapy water, wash your dishes, and set them to the side. When you're finished washing, turn the hot water on and rinse all of the dishes at the same time. Or, use cold water to rinse the soap off of your washed dishes.
If you don't want to restrict your family's hot water usage, consider having a solar water heating component installed. The component uses energy from the sun to heat water reserves for your family on a daily basis. Your heating oil is only used if you haven't generated enough solar energy for the day.
Don't let your family's annual heating oil costs burn a hole in your budget. By following a few simple steps, you can easily reduce the amount of money your family spends on heating oil. Contact a local outlet, such as Cash Oil, for further assistance.Share