2 Ways To Protect Against The Risk Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning results in more than 400 deaths a year in the United States. To prevent such a grievous accident from occurring, it is vital you have a carbon monoxide detector installed inside of your home. Yet maximizing your preventative efforts doesn't stop there. This article will present some further information for reducing the chances of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Get your chimney cleaned and inspected.

Nothing beats a fire in a fireplace on a cold winter day. Yet a dirty or clogged chimney can put you at serious risk—and not just of house fires. You see, carbon monoxide is generated when wood fails to combust all the way. This occurs when there isn't enough oxygen, a scenario commonly caused by incomplete chimney venting. The scariest part about this scenario is that it may be happening even if you don't notice abnormal amounts of smoke inside of your house.

The risk is even greater for chimneys that have not been used recently. Thus before sparking your first fire of the cold season, it is highly recommended that you have your chimney cleaned and inspected. Otherwise your beloved fireplace may inadvertently end up poisoning you and your family.

If you're planning to install a fireplace soon, make sure to keep these safety tips in mind. Visit a site like http://www.villagefireplaceandbbq.com for more information on fireplaces.

Make sure your carbon monoxide detector is in the right place.

What makes carbon monoxide so dangerous is the fact that it can be neither seen nor smelled. This is what makes having a carbon monoxide detector so important. Yet unless you've got it located in the right part of your home, your detector might not be able to detect all occurrences of carbon monoxide.

The cause of many carbon monoxide leaks is the furnace. For this reason, many people assume that the basement is the best place to install a detector. This doesn't always work out as planned, however. That's because not just the furnace but other common fuel burning appliances—the water heater, for instance—naturally emit trace amounts of carbon monoxide each time they fire up.

This often leads to the carbon monoxide detector crying wolf, so to speak. Not only is this annoying, but over time it can lead you to disregard the detector. A better decision is to skip the basement detector and instead install multiple detectors on the upper levels of your home—one on each floor. Be sure that there is a detector near enough to your bedroom that its volume will be loud enough to wake you if sleeping. There should be a button on the detector for testing its volume.

Share